Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Omar Abdullah - Youthful Signs In Jammu And Kashmir

Being my native state, I was glued to news channels on the day when counting of votes for assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir was going on. The results showed a hung assembly (no single political party got a majority) however, one positive thing has come out of it. We are going to have the youngest chief minister in the state - Omar Abdullah.

Omar Abdullah is young and dynamic, and above all he is a youth unlike many Indian politicians who reach the pinnacle of their glory when they are quite old enough. Omar had his schooling from Burn Hall School, which is a famous christian missionary school in Srinagar- Kashmir. It is one of the reputed schools along with Tyndale Biscoe School, from where I have done my schooling.

Jammu and Kashmir has got a new hope in the form of Omar Abdullah. I wish him all the best in his new role as the chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir. I still recount the day when I met him.The occasion was the National Youth Day of India, which is observed every year on 12 January to mark the birthday of Swami Vivekananda, a hindoo monk of India.

Omar Abdullah was the chief guest to that small function, which Ramakrishna Mission Jammu celebrates every year by garlanding the statue of Swamiji that is situated at the heart of Jammu city.

Since Swamiji is an inspiration for youth worldwide, so there could not have been a better guest than Omar Abdullah to garland his statue. As a volunteer of Ramakrishna Mission Jammu, I was asked by the head swamiji of Ramakrishna Mission Jammu to present Omar with a gift on behalf of the mission. The gift box contained few books about Swami Vivekananda.

I shook hands with him and presented the gift. He reciprocated with thank you and a youthful smile. Then he delivered a small but inspiring speech. I hope Jammu and Kashmir is now in safe hands with Omar at the helm.

The expectations of people are certainly high however, it would be an uphill task for Omar to live up to the expectations of all. My best wishes are with him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! Are you interested in getting a banner/ header/ logo/ template/ business cards/ directory or article submissions, for your site for no money, in return we require text links from your site http://www.khojna.blogspot.com. Approaching you through this form since I could not find out the email address. Please get back to me if you are interested. This is a special “New Year offer” from us.

Name: Joe Nathan
Email: joenathanls@gmail.com